Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Late-August Gas

I spent $49.20 filling up the caravan with 87 octane (no ethanol) today, after going over 300 miles on 1 tank. That's normally not a big deal for most minivan owners, since they are usually 20-gallon tanks, but my gas tank holds only 15 to 15.5 gallons, thanks to an off-road incident with a rock.

There are a few things I should note before displaying the MPG:

1. This tank had about 10 gallons of 87 octane (no ethanol) and 5 gallons of 89 octane (10% ethanol).

2. I added a quart of Valvoline Max Life synthetic blend 5w-30 to the crankcase, and I made sure the tires were full of air before leaving for my trip to Lake Albert, America.

3. Roughly 190 miles came while I drove to and from the lake, so a lot of interstate/highway driving.

4. There's a small chance I didn't fill up completely, and my next MPG update could be significantly lower. I don't think this is the case, because the fuel gauge displayed 1/8 of a tank left. 1/8 of a 15-gallon tank is 1.875 gallons, and I bought over 13 gallons today.

So with those notes in mind, here are the numbers:

August 30:
335.5 miles / 13.482 gallons = 24.885 mpg!

I'm very proud of Beulah, myself, and our accomplishments together.

Caravan odometer = 177,443 miles

No comments: