Thursday, March 15, 2012

Tire Pressure, part 2

Part 1 here. The owner of a tire store came into the liquor store where I work, and I struck up a conversation with him. I asked him if I should follow the tire sidewall (44 psi) or the driver's door (35 psi) recommendation. He said if I put in the max pressure, the tires will wear out in the center, so I should use 35 psi. It will be a smoother ride with better MPG, and the tires will last longer. The only time I should use max tire pressure is if I have a heavy cargo load, which I rarely do. I don't even have the middle and back seats in the van.

This is a different opinion from my mechanic (who also services tires) who said I should use the tire sidewall recommendation for longer tire life and better MPG. So now I have two knowledgeable people with different views on tire pressure.

Should I stick with 35 psi, inflate to 42-44 psi, or split the difference and go with 37-39 psi?

No comments: